Round Two of Commute for a Cause runs from January 1 to April 30, 2010

Friday, October 16, 2009

I really blew it this week and that's all right

I didn't commute in the first big storm of the season. That turned out to be a good idea, after all. The rain started at 9pm on Tuesday and fell non-stop for the next 12 hours. In surfing, the first big storm of the season is referred to as the "first flush", because of all of the schmootz that gets pushed into the oceans. You see a lot of sick surfers following the first flush. There's a similar danger on the roads - the first big rain of the season loosens up all the accumulated oils on the road. So Hwy 9 - the twisty, two-lane road I take from Felton to Santa Cruz on my commute, was probably a giant Slip'n'Slide that morning. Driving to work that day was a wide choice.

I also haven't been riding much this week, even after the rain stopped. Some work obligations have prevented it, but I'm planning on catching up this weekend and next week. To kick it off, I'm going to do a night mountain bike ride this evening after work - hopefully at least 20 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment