Round Two of Commute for a Cause runs from January 1 to April 30, 2010

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Out of the fog

I've been off the bike for seventeen days due to pneumonia and a sinus infection. My guess is I got sick three weeks ago when I commuted to work in the rain for two days. I think my immune system took a hit and then the pneumonia and sinus infection kicked in. I cannot remember ever being so sick that when I stayed home from work I just sat on the sofa staring out the window, not wanting to move. Very odd feeling.

But I'm about 95% better now and looking forward to getting back on the bike tomorrow.

When I get back on the bike, here's what I *won't* be wearing:

I also won't be wearing this:
Or this and this:

The guy who came up with the idea is a professional cyclist and coach. On his website he explains his motivation for these jerseys: "I've been honked at, buzzed, cussed out, and pegged with beer cans. When I'm victimized, if I can catch up with the offending motorist at a red light, I always try to talk to them. I'll knock on the window and ask "Do you know that you almost killed me back there?"

For the record I am totally against these jerseys, and I'm not surprised that they were developed by a guy who thinks it's OK to knock on motorist's window to try to talk to them when he catches up to them at a red light. That's the kind of behavior that gives cyclists a bad image. We already have an image as anarchists who obey traffic laws only when it suits us.

As a bike commuter in heavy traffic and on narrow mountain roads with no shoulders, I have learned a better way to integrate with motorists. First, I obey the traffic laws: I have the same rights and responsibilities as an automobile. If I get honked at I don't take it personally. Instead, I look at as a form of communication. Sure, the driver behind me may be upset that I'm slowing him down, but at least I know that he sees me because he honked! I don't worry about getting run over, because I don't ride in the gutter, tempting cars to pass too close. Instead I take the lane when there is no shoulder or bike lane, encouraging cars to slow down and pass me only when there is no oncoming traffic. And I don't expect motorists to share the road with me; I take the lane when conditions warrant it and I give it back as soon as I can.
I wonder if this guy has tried any of these tactics, instead of printing up smug jerseys that are only going to fuel the animosity between motorists and cyclists.

1 comment: